Your home gym is never quite complete until a high-quality weight bench is incorporated and this is coming from an expert’s point of view. Once you attain sufficient fitness levels after months on the elliptical trainer, for instance, the next step is usually to boost your muscle size, endurance or strength. If you are not in any professional sport, you probably just want to get in shape so as to get your sexy back – regardless of the reason, a weight bench will certainly play a lead role in getting your muscles on.
The truth of the matter is that almost every man out there – regardless of how old – wants a six pack and complementing muscles to justify their manhood or perhaps, look good while at it. However, only a few are aware of how exactly to attain their goals. If you are seriously decided about getting pumped, your safest bet simply lies in a quality weight bench. There is an infinite list of options on the market and this can provide a challenge for those on their first weight bench shopping spree.
Generally speaking, a quality weight bench should provide a myriad of exercise options while also drastically reducing your chances of getting injuries on the other hand. Simply, one that allows you to exercise all targeted muscle groups in your body, while in a formed position that is safe for the body. For a comprehensive workout on a weight bench, other accessories such as dumbbells and cages will be required and this, therefore, means that durability, safety, and flexibility are three of the core factors that you should consider while out shopping for a weight bench. It would only be noble to begin by offering some essential weight bench buying tips and some of the main features to scrutinize while at it.
The Ultimate Weight Bench Buyer’s Guide:
- While picking out a weight bench may seem easy initially, there is a lot to think about if you are seeking a fitting companion, rather than a piece of equipment you have to use. You need to figure how many positions you need to entail in your workout sessions, for instance, or perhaps the amount of weight you plan on lifting on a daily basis. Yes, it is a big deal.
- While out at the store in the search for your ideal weight bench, ask yourself how often you work on decline positions. If you regularly do, it would be in your best interest to check out adjustable benches with decline functions – only a few premium brands offer decline positions. Adjustable benches with such features can come in handy later on as the challenge gets bigger and bigger, as your urge to increase an inch on your muscles escalates as well.
- In a nutshell, adjustable weight benches offering a plethora of positions in the range of nearly a dozen, are the ones to go for if you can. Think about the muscle group you want to be pumped or what type of exercises exactly you want to adopt in your daily routine. If your target, for instance, is to boost the upper body and chest area, you want a weight bench that allows you to hit as many inclines as possible. Now that that’s out of the way, and you’ve settled upon investing in one of these essential gym fixtures, let’s have a look at the best products on the market this year, worth your time and bank balance, shall we?
The Best Weight Benches – 2016
Our Pick – The Body Solid GFID71 Heavy Duty FID Bench Review:
The GFID71 is quite an upgrade from its predecessor; the GFID31 and hence justifies its $450 price tag in whichever aspect you choose to look at it from. Body Solid – the manufacturer – decided to throw in a plethora of positions and attachments to keep you locked in as much as you possibly can think of. There is no stretching it to the limit with this one, and thus consolidates its spot as the best weight bench on the market currently offering a huge bang for the buck. Let’s have a closer look at its key features that sets it apart from the competition.
Design – before dwelling on the features and attachments incorporated in the GFID71, it is paramount to begin by stating its dimensions primarily because it is one of the longest benches in our review. With a length of 70 inches, this bench amazingly doubles up as a squat rack with endless possibilities.
It also sports innovative transport wheels to make it easier for you to scoot around the house. Thanks to a sturdy steel frame, this bench allows up to 1000lbs weight capacity, complete with a 6-level ladder back attachment, intended to support the weight through varying incline and decline positions.
Comfort and Positioning – by looking at its somewhat flawless design, you can clearly tell the manufacturer placed due emphasis on the user’s comfort and safety. For starters, it boasts 2.75 inches thick DuraFirm ™ pads designed to make it immensely comfortable to use even when lifting heavy weights in the decline position.
While most weight benches rarely use high-density cushioning, this one includes a sufficiently padded T-Bar Leg Hold Down safety feature that prevents the user from sliding down during decline exercise routines.
- The GFID71 is one of the most flexible benches you can get for your home gym. As mentioned earlier, it doubles up as a weight bench and squat rack meaning you get to enjoy multiple workout positions to help you get in shape in a timely fashion.
- Both the squat rack and weight bench feature 1000lbs weight capacity – ranking among the best in as far as home weight benches go. With this in mind, the manufacturer added some great safety features such as the extended 17-inch safety rails designed to prevent the possibility of getting pinned under the bar, and a raised frame for enhanced stability regardless of the amount of weights you load it with. In a nutshell, it is a safe piece of equipment, with comfortable, user-friendly features to reflect its true worth.
The only thing you can fault the GFID71 with is its large frame that can make it a little hard to move around. However, that is what you have to sacrifice for extra comfort.
Body Solid got it rolling with this one and if you are seriously thinking of making the bold move of investing in a weight bench, it is the equipment to go for. It offers endless positioning possibilities, a handful of safety features, extra comfort in comparison to your standard bench and more importantly, unmatched flexibility. At slightly under $450, you simply can’t go wrong with the GFID71.
The Runner Up – The CAP Barbell Weight Bench:
Now this is one of the most affordable options you can get and also, one of the best too. It strikes the perfect balance of comfort and affordability and hence, justifying its spot as the second-best weight bench on the market this year. Basically, it is one of those weight benches you sit on, and don’t want wake up thereafter. It adopts superior craftsmanship and just by looking at it, you can tell it is the bench you have been looking for, all along. It sports a blend of classy hues, besides boasting a slim frame that’s easy to fit in virtually any space at home. That said, let’s go ahead and dwell on the main features and specs.
Design – like any serious product worth its salt, the Barbell uses a steel frame, covered with dense padding able to withstand bodies weighing up to 300lbs comfortably. The overall package to start with is slim and hence making it very mobile and easy to store around the house. Secondly, the steel frame will serve you for years if not a lifetime, without breaking down or losing its shine.
Comfort and Positioning – the Barbell packs heavy padding all round to make your workout sessions, worth looking forward to. Once you sit on it, the back of your body is firmly held in position as if it was solely made for you. Besides the hand grips being covered with comfortable foam, the bench allows you to lift your legs with ease and comfort.
The bench allows you to attain a good number of favorable workout positions for optimal training. The flexible four adjustable position settings – upright, incline, decline and flat – can be easily adjusted at the touch of a button and even better, it comes with a solid foot placement positioned almost to the lower parts of the equipment. This means that you can easily work out your legs and feet without getting off the bench. Moreover, you get a dumbbell holder to make it easier to access and store your gym accessories.
- If you are looking for a weight bench with decent weight capacity to keep you engaged, the Barbell is certainly worth your time. It can hold up to 250 pounds comfortably, meaning heavy-bodied individuals can comfortably work on it without any hitches whatsoever.
- Putting up together this weight bench is a piece of cake compared to what most of you go through with other brands. It comes with an effortless set of instructions and tips on some of the easy exercises you can start with just in case you are making a debut.
- Finally, the fact that it is one of the most affordable weight benches in its class makes it an offer hard to pass. Considering the flexibility, design and features it packs, it is somewhat more of a bargain if you ask me.
The only downside we found is the fact that it doesn’t incorporate head support, and you will have to keep it firm during workouts which can be daunting.
In conclusion, you are better placed to achieve your goals with the CAP Barbell weight bench, especially, if you are just getting started on these essential gym fixtures. It is the ideal piece of equipment to work out the shoulder presses, bicep curls, dumbbell presses and chest files among other routines. Considering its price, it reflects great value for money thanks to superior engineering and innovative features. I found it to be a great fixture for older people or those with back problems.
On a Budget Option – The Adidas Flat-Bench:
As cool as adjustable weight benches sound, they certainly don’t come cheap. In fact, getting one of those adjustable models for less than $250 nowadays almost borders on the impossible. Fortunately, there are great flat bench options you can opt for such as the new Adidas Flat Weight Bench, designed to effectively facilitate back and abs exercises, besides allowing the user to work with free-weights. It is not the bench that sports all the fancy features found in premium brands, however, one that is simply crafted to accommodate all body shapes and sizes, comfortably. That said, let’s have a look at some of its features and specs.
Design – it boasts a low-profile design and steel frame with a boxed upholstered construction intended to enhance durability. The high-quality steel construction is paired with a huge diameter steel tubing and powder-coated finish to keep nicks or scratches at bay. It is a sturdy piece of equipment that handles any weight you throw at it with ease.
Comfort and Positioning- although the Adidas bench is flat, it is comfortable thanks to a sufficient 2.5-inch high-density foam padding that covers the whole back pad. It stands at 44” x 19” x 17” when fully assembled and hence making it one of the longest and widest benches available.
- Few flat benches stamp authority in the market, and the Adidas is one of them. Not only is it superbly crafted compared to most flat benches, it is affordable being that you can own one with slightly under $85.
- Also, the Adidas Flat Weight Bench is one of the most durable products, from a reliable brand synonymous with quality. It boasts a high quality, sturdy steel frame construction that can handle virtually anything you throw its way.
Besides the obvious fact that you can’t adjust it, it is quite a bulky piece of equipment more so if compared to the adjustable models above. However, the fact that it can accommodate even basketball players, makes up for this in a huge way.
To wrap it, the flat bench is just as reliable as any other product from Adidas. Just as expected, it has been designed to meet the vigorous needs of athletes, without compromising the comfort levels. At under $85, it is an ideal option for those on a budget yet, out in the search for a reliable weight bench.
The Upgrade Pick – The Bow-Flex Select Tech Adjustable Bench (Series 5):
If you are out shopping for a sophisticated weight bench to replace the less-challenging model back at home, the Bowflex Tech is worth checking out by all means. To start with, this bench is a looker; beautifully crafted with two color hues for a unique look. In addition to its engineering success, it is compact, slim and lightweight meaning moving it to and from the garage, shouldn’t be a headache. To put this into perspective, let’s focus on some of the thoughtful features and specs, adopted by Bowflex.
Design – as you may have noticed, all high-end, quality weight benches are crafted using steel material and this one is no different. The Bowflex Tech packs a heavy-duty quality steel frame, paired with durable upholstery for extended life span. For safe measure, the manufacturer also included wheels for mobility purposes.
Comfort and Positioning – the product can be adjusted to 6-different positions to offer agility during workouts and if versatility ranks high on your list of priorities, this is a weight bench worth investing in. Moreover, you get a 17-degree decline that can be adjusted all the way up to a 90-degree incline. The high-density padding covering the back pad is also worth a mention as it makes any workout session much more bearable than it usually would.
- Thanks to well-tuned positioning adjustments, the Bowflex is arguably one of the safest weight benches you can own. It is designed to correct the user’s posture, besides stabilizing all positioning adjustments for safe, muscle building workout sessions free from injuries.
- The Bowflex Tech is not bulky, but this shouldn’t fool you into thinking that it is any less effective or weak compared to other larger brands. It holds its own and can accommodate much more weight than you would gauge from the surface.
Unfortunately, the Bowflex Tech isn’t the best at handling a huge deal of weight capacity. Considering its compact and mobile frame, though, it handles much more in comparison to other products its size.
In a nutshell, the Bowflex tech is the ideal weight bench for agile individuals seeking to raise the bar and stretch their abs to the limit while at it. It is a compact, and mobile bench that technically does it all in regards to workouts and exercise routines. Its versatility, mobility and durability combine to justify its place on our competitive review.
Also Great – X Mark Fitness Adjustable Dumbbell Weight Bench:
The X Mark Fitness is an extremely comfortable bench – I can’t seem to figure whether that’s a compliment or not as workouts shouldn’t be comfy. However, it only makes your workouts much more bearable and worth looking forward to – a plus by all means. That said, X Mark has been at it for quite some time now and during this period, has managed to craft quality products such as the X Mark Fitness. To get what I’m talking about, let’s have an in-depth look at some of its key features.
Design – covering the sturdy 11-gauge steel shell is an extra-thick, three-Duracraft padding covered using a tear and sweat resistant Vinyl material. The combination of these materials makes up for a comfortable and sweat-free workout experience that can be hard to come by. To compliment this are stable, skid-resistant feet, foot-hold down bar and transportation wheels.
Comfort and Positioning – if you think that flat benches are, well, flat out boring, it is worth noting that the X Mark Fitness boasts a whopping 7-position adjustable back pad, besides a 3-position seat to enhance your comfort levels during workouts.
- The best part about owning this bench is its superior weight capacity that can tolerate up to a record 1500lbs without caving in. This allows you to train harder and longer without worrying about injuries to your back or painful recovery periods after that.
- The X Mark Fitness is quite affordable and hence, makes it possible for you to work out optimally without burning holes in your pocket. Considering that most product in its caliber cost twice as much as the X Mark product, it is purely a bargain.
The only thing that remains wanting in the Fitness is the fact that it doesn’t necessarily allow you to work your legs and feet as easy as some of the options above.
All said, this is one of the weight benches I would recommend a close friend, to go for. It is comfortable, unique and highly effective at offering great positioning adjustment settings.
Wrapping it Up:
If you have been following our review from start to finish, procuring a quality weight bench worth your hard-earned cash shouldn’t be an issue. However, it is paramount to keep in mind that your direct needs, should eventually define the type of product you settle for.