You know it’s about time to invest in a foam roller when the lingering aches and pains from intense workout sessions, won’t just go away. Indeed, recovering from any intense physical activity so as to remain healthy enough for the next workout is a huge challenge for most and more so, those just getting started on a quest for fitness. What if I told you that there’s an easy way out? Yes, you can simply opt to get yourself one of the high-quality foam rollers we have reviewed below and just like athletes do, deal with the matter once and for all. Besides this, foam rollers are must-have workout accessories that can be used for myriad applications such as warming up for a task ahead, myofascial release and targeted muscle group massage.
That said, you will come across a sea of products once you hit the store to shop for one – another challenge, that you should be prepared to bump into – because finding the perfect foam roller can be a tedious and time-consuming task sometimes. If you do, though, it should all be worth the while eventually, and you can look forward to soothing or massage the tight muscles causing sleepless nights. To avoid getting caught up in the whole confusion, we came up with a detailed list of the best foam rollers out there and explained why exactly they deserve a spot here. Before diving right in, though, let’s have a look at some essential foam roller, buying tips just in case you decide to rush out and grab one.
The Ultimate Foam Roller Buyer’s Guide:
Foam rolling is a highly effective fitness technique that has for years now, been adopted by therapists and athletes to enhance fast muscle tissue recovery. If you have decided to embark on a health and fitness path, having one would certainly be in your best interest. That said, how then do you choose the ideal foam roller to meet your direct needs? Well, it is paramount to begin by noting that just like every workout session is different, so are foam rollers. In short, these essential gym accessories range significantly in regards to size, shape, firmness and overall design.
For instance, if your primary goal is to soothe large body areas, going for a rounded roller is advisable. On the flip side, round rollers are not quite effective at reaching deeper tissues or even, muscles in certain positions. In a nutshell, the shape of a prospective roller is one of the most paramount aspects to scrutinize; besides its firmness, and cost. Now that we have addressed the elephant in the room let’s delve on the best foam rollers worth your time and hard-earned money.
The Best Foam Rollers 2016 –
Our Pick – Trigger Point Performance The Grid Revolutionary Foam Roller:
The Grid is intriguing right from the start, and you can immediately tell that it is an exclusive product, the moment you lay eyes on it. Built with an exceptionally sturdy core and innovative outer padding for varying therapy techniques, the Grid Revolutionary is simply everything a high-density roller is, and slightly more. After working out a couple of weeks on the Grid, here’s what our team learned about the Trigger Point product.
- Once I got my hands on the Grid, I was excited and psyched to get my myofascial release therapy on. It is slightly compact than your standard foam roller, but this shouldn’t trick you into thinking that it is any less effective than it should be. I instantly noticed that it’s not one of those disappointing mushy rollers that cave into pressure and transform into a flat tire virtually in minutes, No. This roller won’t cave to anything you throw at it and heavy mom’s, in particular, can greatly benefit from one of these – the perfect gift for an expectant colleague perhaps? In short, it’s one of the firmest rollers I’ve ever used and hence, scores huge in this category.
- Its strategically padded with less foam than conventional rollers, and the manufacturer decided to go with a PVC core hollow in the middle, which is pretty sturdier than you would expect it to be initial. It offers impeccable variable firmness during release and more over, flexible enough to reach wider areas of your body thanks to a unique distrodensity zone design. The three-dimensional surface comes in a variety of widths, intended for targeted massages and hence, meet the vigorous needs of athletes and competitors. Did I mention that its compact size is also a plus for those that travel a lot.
Although the Grid Revolutionary roller has a lot going for it, it somewhat wants in regards to the padding density. However, once you get on it, you instantly forget that it is under-padded compared to what you are used to.
At approximately $50, the Grid Revolutionary is slightly expensive than your ordinary $10 roller foam. However, it’s the safest bet for those seeking to get rid of the gruesome knots on their backs, or expectant moms that just can’t take the backaches anymore. Of all foam rollers I tested, it was the most efficient at reaching all muscle groups regardless of location or position.
Runner Up – The NewCell Integrate Foam Roller:
At first, the NewCell Roller may intimidate you with the mean looking raised nodules along the entire surface and true to this, it isn’t the product to go for if you are just making a debut to foam rolling. This is a product designed for those that have been using rollers for a while, with no results to show for. Are you simply tired of trying out virtually every foam roller there is out there only for the unrelenting knot on your back to keep resurfacing every time you try working out? Well, you should probably consider checking out the NewCell.
- It packs an exclusive bi-directional zone design that enhances spine comfort to keep you well covered during release sessions. Despite its savage look, the Integrate boasts a soft and immensely comfortable exterior wrapped around a sturdy inner tube for stability purposes. It is exceptionally firm and you can rely on it to optimally soothe all muscle groups around the body.
- The best part about the NewCell, though, has to be its effective trigger point zone that allows you to optimally massage, deep muscle tissues, alongside providing sufficient acupressure therapy that simulates an expert’s hand. Moreover, it is a compact package that allows you to throw it in the bag and carry it anywhere you wish. One of an ideal travel-sized foam rollers you can get your hands on.
- The only downside with this product is the fact that it can be a little painful for beginners. While this may seem like a downside, it is necessary for those with deep muscle tissues.
- Also, some wish that it was a little larger than it is. However, the compact size is deemed ideal for athletes and individuals always on the move.
In conclusion, the Integrate is one of the most effective products designed to meet the needs of vigorous trainees and foam rolling enthusiast alike. It also comes at a really pocket-friendly price of $27 – slightly below the average of a foam roller in its class.
Some other budget options–
1. The LuxFit Premium High-Density Foam Roller:
High-density rollers are the most popular and for good reason. They have usually rounded tubes made from high-density foam material intended to enhance stability. Unfortunately, not all high-density foam rollers offer the firmness and stability desired and more often than not you will end up being disappointed eventually in one way or another. Fortunately, there is the LuxFit Premium High-Density Foam Roller designed to match the appropriate standards required from any high-density foam roller worth its salt. That said, let’s have a look at how the LuxFit Premium fared in our vigorous tests.
- If you are in the search for a pretty hard foam roller to sufficiently loosen the tight muscles bothering you, chances are you work out regularly or take part in competitive sports. The LuxFit Premium doesn’t disappoint when it comes to stiffness, and in fact, some experts have nicknamed it the bruiser – for good reason. Its high-density material doesn’t cave regardless of how heavy the user is. Its sheer hardness makes it the ideal toolkit for a training enthusiast.
- The LuxFit Premium adopts polypropylene foam technology that is highly effective at physiotherapy and muscle tension relief. It is big enough to cover a huge chunk of your body and thanks to its two pounds per cubic foot density, you can be guaranteed of a smooth and supportive surface that should untangle any knots within your frame. The LuxFit Premium is also one of the most durable foam rollers on the market and with that, it should serve you for years without losing its shape.
Due to its polypropylene material, the Premium can be slippery at times especially on fabrics. However, a rough surface should provide seamless therapy sessions to get rid of muscle tension.
In a nutshell, the LuxFit Premium is a budget-friendly option if your main goal is to find a stable roller to get you going. At approximately $15, it is one of the cheapest, yet effective foam rollers you can get your hands on. It simply strikes the perfect balance of stability and comfort – the ideal combination to curb any muscle tension situation.
2. The ProSource Ultra Deluxe Revolutionary Sports Medicine Roller:
This is an affordable option that offers more foam for the buck – the main reason why it makes the cut. Indeed, the ProSource product comes packed nearly double the size of most of its competitors and as its name implies, it is quite medicinal in many ways. Are you out looking for a roller that you can lay your entire back on? The ProSource Ultra Deluxe foam roller is your safest bet.
- As stated above, its sheer size is its greatest strength. It is one of those foam rollers you can comfortably relax on when the workout session gets pretty intense. In short, the ProSource product will leave you asking why you should limit the aching body parts in the first place while you can simply tackle all the troubled muscle groups at once?
- The Medicine roller also boasts a rugged surface with firm, yet soft bumps and nodules designed to cater for deep or sensitive muscle tissue injuries. This combined with its extra large surface, allows you to cater to a large number of muscle groups such as the lats, lower and upper back and quads among others. However, there is a smaller version of the ProSport Deluxe; categorically for those always on the move.
Unfortunately, it is not one of the hardest foam rollers around and if your main goal is to find a hard, bruising roller, this isn’t the place to look. It is, however, ideal for those just getting started.
In a nutshell, you should be safe with the Ultra Deluxe Revolutionary Sports Medicine Roller especially if foam rolling is new to you. It is affordable, reliable and effective at loosening muscle tissues. There isn’t much to complain about.
3. Rolling With It Foam Roller:
Are you conscious about the environment or perhaps, focused on enriching the environment for the well-being of future generations? This foam roller is the perfect way to make a statement as a staunch advocate for green living. Besides its eco-friendly nature, it is a high-density foam is sufficiently firm and ideal for foam rolling enthusiasts that have been at it for a while now. That said, let’s have a look at whether the “Rolling With It” product, is worth your time, hassle and money after all.
- As stated earlier, this foam roller boasts an eco-friendly EPA foam material that is good for the environment. This fact shouldn’t be a deal-breaker for you of course and how it works at releasing muscle tension issues should be the most important aspect. That said, the product boasts a high-density material that is specifically great in physical therapy and dire myofascial situations.
- Secondly, it comes in two different sizes just in case you wanted a large area to reach wider areas or a small foam roller you can carry almost anywhere. Being a high-density foam roller, it is pretty firm and sturdy, meaning you can expect it to hold you up firmly and comfortably. Unlike other high-density rollers, this one won’t chip or flake with time, thanks to quality covering and in fact, will even retain its true form even after multiple years of service.
While being extra firm is a plus for most foam rollers, the Rolling With It, roller can feel too hard or stiff for some users. In short, don’t go for it unless you are an ardent foam roller or a staunch environment-friendly believer.
In conclusion, this is one of the best high-density foam rollers on the market and the fact that it uses eco-friendly materials to work its magic, goes a long way in justifying its place among the cream of the crop. The $20 price tag is also worth noting being that it is among the cheapest premium brands too.
Wrapping it Up:
Just like everything in life, simple is always better meaning you are better off going for the affordable products above, rather than gambling on unproven rollers just because they come sporting futuristic surface that may even not work in the first place. In conclusion, there is an infinite list of foam rollers on the market, but that said, the above should work the magic in getting rid of the constant back aches and pains causing you sleepless nights.